Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Frog and A Pig

A Frog & A Pig

With college almost over, since a job was

what all this learning was leading up to,

the English Department announced a

Career Day and brought in a publisher

from New York City. Having written

two novels already, I felt this was my

chance. There were about ten of us in

the wood paneled room, sun in the windows,

it was warm outside. What did I know?

I was reading Kerouac, I was ready to go.

What the woman from the publishing

metropolis offered was The Muppet Babies

cartoon. She was scouting for writers.

I couldn’t do it, I couldn’t even imagine it

at the time, the squeaky voices, pastels and

treacly jokes would have driven me mad.

But now I wonder how hard it would be to

twist my arm, to take me from my job and

put me in a little blue sailboat with a frog

and a pig and pay me to write the way out.


Annotated Frog and Pig:

Don't get me wrong, I like the Muppets.

I faithfully watched The Muppet Show

and I grew up with Sesame Street.

In fact, these two were my favorites:


Laughing to himself, "Three sticks...
Three sticks..."
The usual stooge walks by.
Still laughing...
"Three sticks where?"
Still laughing...
"Three sticks right HERE!!"
Laughing and fanfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment