Tuesday, April 19, 2022

orchestrated by a mouse

All the Good Deed Rain books have some magical beginning. THE ROBERT HUCK MUSEUM began with a mouse. I was at my desk at work and saw something move in the corner of my eye. I watched and waited and discovered there was a mouse in the office. Like any seasoned big game hunter, I chased it into my supervisor’s room and trapped it there under a cardboard box. My boss made me call Facilities Management, and the Pest Control Division sent over Sarah. Sarah took the mouse outside to parking lot 17G and freed it. Then maybe a year went by. Did the mouse return with a handful of magic beans? No, but Sarah reappeared. She was trying to interest the museum director in putting on a show of her mother’s husband’s artwork. She showed me some images on her phone. I was immediately intrigued by the story and talent of artist Robert Huck. She invited me to visit her house to see the collection of hundreds of Huck artworks from the 1940s—1961. I knew right away a book needed to tell the story of this amazing artist. A story orchestrated by a mouse!

No comments:

Post a Comment