Friday, August 9, 2019

It Conquered the World


THE SECOND TIME I MET LEE VAN CLEEF
He was my first boss in high school. I went to his house to do landscaping on the set of his spaghetti western. I became Clint Eastwood shoveling beauty bark all about the rhododendrons. I got tense and ready to draw every time he reappeared to check on my work. The second time he appeared in my life was in Reno Town, on a dead-end street at dawn. Even though the sun was up, no one else was around. I was pulled along like someone in science fiction when a voice called from a broken doorway. If I would just stay there, he’d be right back. He had the designs for a machine that could turn water into gasoline. I could have it, just wait, don’t move. “It’s all legitimate,” he mumbled. It was only last week he made a deal with Lee Van Cleef.


No comments:

Post a Comment