Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Marsamerica


I’m reading THE MAN WHOSE TEETH WERE 
ALL EXACTLY ALIKE, one of Philip K. Dick’s 
non-science fiction books that he had trouble getting 
published during his lifetime. I find these so-called 
mainstream books of his very interesting, especially 
CONFESSIONS OF A CRAP ARTIST, which 
I’ll have to reread next. Accounts of America that 
make it seem like some Martian colony…Even 
though it’s set in West Marin County, California 
(as described by his wife in her book, THE 
SEARCH FOR PHILIP K. DICK) it’s not a 
far jump to THE CLANS OF THE ALPHANE 
MOON or MARTIAN TIMESLIP. Philip’s wife 
Anne details his writing of this book, how he 
mirrored their life in his fiction. It’s good inspiration. 
I’m having similar fun with the novel I’m writing 
now, turning autobiography into science fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment