Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Cover for The Wonderful Stupid Man


I worked with Michael Paulus
on making the cover come to life.
I pictured the cover as a movie screen
and Mike sketched this idea:
The screen title is based on the old DRACULA
title card (1931) which is also a fitting homage
to one of the book’s characters, Count Misfit.
This is the screen title with the stories listed
as stars in small lettering.
Next, Mike tried out
some curtain designs...
Here’s the final image, note the scrollwork glowing
over the curtains, before they draw open:
This is the title page:
The book spine, two designs:

This is the button I drew
which starts each chapter:
I wanted there to be a campaign button
for the book title…Especially appropriate since
we were putting this book together during
the 2012 US election!
Mike designed the button and
actually ordered one. I’m going to
order more to give away to people.
Would you like one?

I pictured the button laying
in a litter of junkyard relics.
Mike took several beautiful photographs.
Can you find the lump of coal? The sea horse?
Barometer, old stapler (an homage to
my “Prehistoric Stapler” see blog from
Sept 11, 2012), hygrometer, iron horseshoe,
nuts, bolts, camp pocket knife and
Houdini locks?
Here’s the final book jacket design
with help from Susanna Schwacke.
Order your copy from Bird Dog Publishing
today!


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hey Brian, are you there? I was thinking about the Devo concert we went to way back when. Hope you're doing good. Your friend, Allen

      Delete