Friday, February 4, 2011

Animals, Ghosts & Outer Space

Deer Poem #1

Deer Poem #2

Deer Poem #3

This Halloween

The Old House

The Astronomer

Deer Poem #4

Nothingness

32nd & Seagull

Who Wouldn’t Want A Gorilla Mask?

Raking Leaves

The Lepidopterist

Deer Poem #5

Short Wave Radio

Salmon Candles

The Mechanic

The Brooklyn Deer

The ½ Creature

The Gardenia

December Sun

The Peach Can



Deer Poem #1


Spied a deer

across the ditch

behind the branches

in someone’s yard

just standing there


When they freeze

they go back

hundreds of years

you can almost

watch them disappear


Through this century

the walls we put up

the motorized age

our time is temporary


The deer fade

further and further

to a place where

they know

we don’t remember





Deer Poem #2


Walking along

the museum of 7 AM

a deer painting

in the trees

above the wall

Deer Poem #3


The second day

noticing the deer

in the corner


Their yard is calm


He waits for

houselights to go on





This Halloween


I knocked on our window

with a ghost on a stick

Rustle met me at the door

laughing, looking to see what

I held behind my back





The Old House


It’s been repainted

dark gray, not green anymore.

The lights are on as we go past

there’s still a pumpkin on the steps,

someone else lives there now.





The Astronomer


The only time he phoned her

it was a comedy nightmare.

Loving her wasn’t meant to be

but that truth was never clear

like a song by the Clovers

until one day after school

when he spotted her sister.

She missed the bus.

He went over to her,

and offered a ride.

His mother drove them.

By the time they got to her house

it was obvious. She was the one

he would climb a ladder for

and throw a rope around the moon.





Deer Poem #4


Before I got there

I was thinking I’d like

to bring a present.

What would a deer want?

I could bring an apple

but they already have

their share off the trees.

Maybe a tangerine, or

some supermarket fruit

flown here from overseas?

One taste of that and

he would never forget.

For the rest of his life

that deer would be looking

for another pineapple.





Nothingness


Where the road valleys out

with the little pond on the right

and the cluster of houses on the left

there’s a fog laying down like a blanket


I wonder if there’s some bird

a stork or heron that gathers

the early morning mist and

twigs it together into a big nest


I was so intent walking into it

trying to see if I could tell

I was in nothingness

where cars disappear

and people wander aimlessly


32nd & Seagull


Along 32nd Street

there’s a little house

sometimes with a seagull

standing on the rooftop.

When it’s there it makes noise

turning and shaking its wings out.

Sometimes another gull appears.

I only see these things if I’m out

walking the dog, or going to the store.

With the whole town to nest on,

it’s odd for a bird to choose there.

There’s nothing about the place

to notice. Sometimes I forget

which house has the seagull on it.

One day as I walked past

a man was kneeling on the sidewalk.

He was digging dandelions.

I stopped and said hello.

He looked up and cupped his ear

as I asked, “What’s the story with

that seagull on top of your house?”

He didn’t mind telling me,

“It started showing up three years ago.”

“Do you feed it anything?”

I pictured him throwing fish up there.

At my bus stop once I saw a woman

wearing a bright pink bathrobe

tossing bread on the roof of her house.

Seagulls and crows were perched

all around, waiting for her to leave.

“No,” he said. “He just likes it here.”





Who Wouldn’t Want

A Gorilla Mask?


One warm summer evening in Ohio

I was at Goodwill and saw a gorilla mask.

I didn’t have any money on me,

I was wearing a tourist costume

shorts and a t-shirt

but I thought I could return

in the morning to buy it.

So I stepped back into the crickets

and twilight, thinking of all the things

I could do with that gorilla mask.

It never occurred to me there was

someone else, someone with $5

entering the store at that moment.

As I was crossing the wide parking lot

walking in the weeds next to the road

someone was pulling that mask down

off the wall and holding it like a flower.





Raking Leaves


maple, alder

oak, poplar

and a red

soy sauce packet

someone dropped





The Lepidopterist


When he went to work

he would leave his wife

notes in the kitchen

he would long to stay

in their warm bed

but he would go

into a cold new day

without her.

Over the years

his letters dried

into things like grocery lists

or simplicities, reminders

like where are the keys?

things that said so much

like the car needs gas.





Deer Poem #5


I told Rustle about the deer and asked,

“What do you think he’s doing in their yard?”

as we passed that spot in our car.

Rustle said, “He’s a spy deer.

He spies on whatever goes by.”

Of course. I never considered

I’m not the only one watching

he’s wearing the slouch hat and raincoat

disguised, taking notes and melting back

into the forest to report on us.

As if to lend truth to this 6 year olds’ theory,

I haven’t seen the deer since then,

his cover is blown.





Short Wave Radio


A rusted box

full of hum

and orange light

bringing him

the world

at night





Salmon Candles


They are timing out

to the last sway

intent on the current

pointed upstream, knowing

the place they are going


their death shows

on fins and blotched

along their skin

white growing on them

in patches the way age

grows on us too


turned into ghosts

tossed out on the stones

along the curb of creek


even from a distance

up on the bluff

looking down the cliff

through the layers of trees

you can see the flow

the salmon shipwrecked

like pale yellow candles

waiting for nighttime

to glow in the dark





The Mechanic


Seeing everything

belonging to something

larger, connection to

a thing that will work





The Brooklyn Deer


Once upon a Brooklyn

we found a deer head

propped on the street.

Of course we carried it

down stairs into the station.

It was between trains

we climbed the wall and

stuck it in the rafters.

Glassy eyes watching

from the shadows

window lights flickering

the people come and go

from the city to the city.

It was a good hiding place

lasting there several days

until someone spotted it

or maybe it took

the subway home.





The ½ Creature


It was prairie, all yellow colors.

The highway exits onto a road

that turns into dirt that leads

to a gas station.

We were on the way

back from Ohio.

I got out of the cab.

It was cold and quiet

except for the rush of traffic

on the interstate beyond.

Inside the store I paid

for a full tank and also

bought a refrigerator magnet,

a jackelope, that creature

native to this land

half rabbit/half antelope.

Carrying it, staring at it,

I half believe it’s real.





The Gardenia


Yes, of course she looks

like a knockout in her green

and white caped uniform

but she sticks to the little yard

she tends growing vegetables

and some flowers. “What about

all the crime out there?” I ask her.

We were sharing tea on the porch

the sun was climbing gently down

the branches of the apple tree.

She made a kind of flat tire sound

and smiled, her hands tipped

the way they talk in Italy.





December Sun


listening

ice is melting

off the white

alder trees


tapping onto

blackberry leaves





The Peach Can


filled up

outside with

three day’s ice

riding in it


overnight

it turns to water

waiting for winter

to be over



No comments:

Post a Comment